Streaming videos @ MSMC
The main source for streaming video at MSMC is Kanopy. You can access Kanopy videos to stream here, or via the search box below.
Kanopy offers a broad selection of over 26,000 streaming films, documentaries and training videos from 800 producers, with additional new releases launched daily. The films can be viewed from anywhere, anytime, by all Mount faculty, staff and students.
Featured producers in Kanopy's collection include Criterion Collection, PBS, California Newsreel, HBO, Kino Lorber, First Run Features, BBC, Documentary Educational Resources, Roland Collection, MVD, Seventh Art, Psychotherapy.net, Symptom Media, and many more.
Please note that US feature films are not typically part of the Kanopy offerings.
What is Kanopy?
1) Browsing by subject: You can use the "Browse Subjects" dropdown feature at the top of the website to navigate to find films on particular topics.
2) Searching for keywords: You can use the search box to search for a keyword, film title, filmmaker, person, country, or otherwise. Searching will trawl through all metadata for a film, including even the words in the transcript, to deliver you the full and most relevant results.
Searching in general
To search for something, just put the term you are looking for in the Kanopy search box, and the results are the most relevant to your search. You can then use the "Advance Search filters" on the left to filter and narrow your search down to select criteria (such as subject, producer, year of production, language, etc). For instance, if you look for "spanish", iyour results will include all films that are either in spanish and/or feature the word spanish. If you want to narrow to just those films in the language of "Spanish", use the languages filter on the left to filter for Spanish.
1) To look for an exact film title or phrase: you can put your search term in quotation marks to ensure you look for the exact phrase. For instance, "Killing Us Softly" will bring up the exact film, or "group theory" will bring up films that must have the phrase "group theory" (not just either word).
2) If you are looking for two terms, you can include the boolean term "and" between search terms to ensure you get results that must contain both words, not just either word. For instance, searching for "American AND politics" searches for films that must contain both words, not either word.
3) If you want to exlude results, you can include the boolean term "not" to exclude certain words in your results. For instance, searching for "environment NOT learning" searches for films that contain the word environment but not the word learning.
Streaming video FAQs
Will the Library buy a streaming video, even if the Library already owns the DVD?
Yes. Fill out the request form to let us know what you need.
Kanopy has a very good selection. Do they take requests for films they do not (already) offer?
Yes. Kanopy is very interested in knowing what faculty want to see and are eager to contact producers and filmmakers to get rights to more films. Fill out the request form to let us know what you'd like and we'll contact Kanopy.
If we use streaming video, can we still pause/stop at points to discuss it?
Yes. When you view a video in Kanopy, there is a pause button you can click on at the bottom of the view screen, similar to the controls in the view window that you see when you play a YouTube video.
Are these services available only on campus, or is there a way to assign these videos as homework that students can watch at home?
Yes. Students (and faculty and staff) can access these videos from anywhere they want, not only on campus. Our streaming video services, like all of our electronic resources, are accessible from off-campus with a current MSMC ID and password.
I'm a student. Can I request a streaming video that isn't in Kanopy?
Unfortunately, no, not at this time. Currently we are accepting requests for streaming video purchases from faculty only.
Streaming video is easy!
Explore the videos in the library through the information on this page!
Finding streaming videos
You can search for just streaming video in the library's catalog. First, click on the link to Advanced Search on the library's catalog:
Then select streaming video from the Collection drop-down menu, enter your search term, and click the Submit button.
A listing of just streaming videos that match your search term appears. Click on title link to veiw details:
A link to the video appears in the detailed information: Click on the link to stream the video.